Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Secret Garden" 2.0?-Remakes: Okay Or "No Way"?


I want to hate this song but I can't; for now at least.

Just in case you got things fucked up twisted, Quincy Jones is still in the music game. Recently, a remake of his 1989 hit "Secret Garden" (bearing the same name) was released; the newer version was produced by Jermaine Dupri and included singers Robin Thicke and Usher. Undoubtedly, the newer version is molded to appeal to a younger audience and is very catchy; however should such a classic record have been remade? Let's think about the process of remaking a song (especially a classic):
 
Just because someone remakes a song doesn't mean they're trying to out-do the original, they could just really like the song; but does that give them the right to actually do it? Some feel it's a way of introducing pioneers like Jones (and the late great Barry White, who was on the original) to a new, younger audience while others think certain songs "shouldn't ever be touched." Below, Dupri talks to MTV about the components included in remaking such a special song:


"It took a minute for me to even think about touching it."-Jermaine Dupri

Here's the original "Secret Garden":


Personally, I think some records are untouchable like Michael Jackson's "Rock With You", "We Are The World", and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (Although I must admit, I've had some ideas come into my mind for the last one) while others are "fair game"; Additionally, I feel if someone decides to remake a song, it has to actually be good. but you don't care about my opinion so what do you think?  Here are some questions to consider:

Should a remake depend on whether the original is considered a classic or not? Should a song be remade if the original artist/collaborators are dead? Should remakes only be done by the original artist or with their consent? Should certain artist' body of work be off limits all together? Just a few questions to think about. Let me know what you think.

Side note: Samples aren't considered remakes in my book unless they use the same concept/idea for the record. 

Props to Beats and Rants and MTV.

2 comments:

  1. Artist should remake obscure or mediocore songs that could've been done better. Like who would've thought Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" was originally by Dolly Parton. Classic.

    ReplyDelete